Thursday, September 11, 2014

http://digitalnativeorimmigrant1.blogspot.com/


Digital Immigrant or Native?
With the increase of technology on a day to day basis,
 we are all digital immigrants.

http://processedlives.files.wordpress.com/2013/02/digital-natives.png
After doing some research and reading the articles that we were assigned for class, I do not believe in "digital natives". I'm not saying that digital natives do not exist; however I am saying that I believe in today's society, age doesn't matter, meaning I agree with the term "digital immigrant". I do not think that age has anything to do with technology. So many times you hear that the younger you are, the more advanced you are at technology. To me, that isn't the case. Sure a 2 year old can hold an iPad and play games but I know plenty of older people above the age of 60 who have iPhones and can do everything that is necessary on there
http://i2.cdn.turner.com/dr/hln/www/release/sites/default/files/imagecache/textarticle_640/2012/09/21/ipadbabysitter_0.jpg
.

This past Thursday, in our ECI 201 debate, I was on the digital immigrant side. Being on this side meant that I believed that today's generation is not better equipped at using technology than older generations. After going back in forth in the debate, I can say that I even further my confidence in digital immigrants existing. I read this article by Jeff DeGraff and really like what he said about digital immigrants and digital natives, " The paradox here is that digital immigrants, for the most part, invented the complex technologies and systems that digital natives use fluently -- the Internet, microchips and the ubiquitous cloud comes to mind. In this way, digital natives and digital immigrants must grow to work together and learn from each other."He agrees that digital immigrants do exist and are necessary in life. In reality, this is the underlying truth. Without digital immigrants, there would be no digital natives. 

http://www.mediative.com/sites/default/files/digital_natives_and_digital_immigrants_0.jpg?1345744092


A big issue that we had in our debate that was brought up a lot was how in the end, digital natives are better at using technology than older generations. However, what they failed to realize that it all has to do with motivation and effort. Of course people generalize older generations as not being able to use the technology because it is too advanced, It doesn't mean that they don't know how to use it. It is because they haven't put any effort into it. The older people that you see using advanced technology are those people who put effort into learning about the technology and asked questions. A comment that was made during the debate was that we are all born with the skill to use technology. I can beg to differ about that because I am no expert on technology. Sure I know how to use it but that is because I practiced and looked things up/asked someone if I was confused. None of us are born into this world being experts on technology. No matter what, we all start as immigrants because in the beginning, we are all clueless. 

I learned a LOT about digital natives and digital immigrants. Before this class, I really had never heard people use those terms before so it was a whole new learning experience for me. I did learn that a lot of people today do think digital natives exist and not many people agree with the digital immigrants term. In the end, digital immigrants are all around. Personally I am no digital native because I know a ton of people who are older than me and better at using technology, aka my ECI 201 professor and my dad.

Other articles I read about digital natives vs. digital immigrants:
  •  http://www.huffingtonpost.com/april-rudin/life-on-a-social-media-is_b_4600429.html
  • http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/do-the-right-thing/201207/digital-native-vs-digital-immigrant-which-are-you

1 comment:

  1. Awesome blog Taylor! I agree with you for a lot of what you said. One thing that you said was that "age doesn't have anything to do with technology." I think that it does have some correlation; younger people in their teens/20's are typically better at technology. Not just because they are more motivated like you said, but also because technology is required in schools and workplaces. In college and high school, being adapt to technology is essential for doing well, which is why people consider this age group to be "digital natives". I agree though, that with effort and motivation, older generations would be able to use technology just as easily as younger generations.

    ReplyDelete